Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Same Watercolor Subject - Painted Fifteen Years Apart


I painted this watercolor of my daughter when she was very young. Though I did a lot of drawing during those years, watercolor painting was new to me. On this day I made her pose on her bed with a story book and all her favorite stuffed animals gathered around.

There are many things to learn from this early painting, which I never finished completely. You can see that, although she is the subject of my painting, she is hard to find in the picture! From a design standpoint, there are too many centers of interest. The light source is hard to determine even though there is an open window in the upper right portion of the image. Also, you can tell I didn't quite have a good understanding of color theory.  In those beginning days I just painted what I observed, without understanding why!  

Here is another painting of that same daughter, about fifteen years later. I have a better grasp of color theory, but still, the light source is not clear. This was painted about five years ago from a very poor photo. It's a good thing she is a very beautiful girl! There is a lot to learn from this painting also, most importantly, start with a reference photo that is sharp, large enough to see, and one that has good lighting!

I hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into my personal past!












No comments: