Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Homemade Floater Frames for Watercolors at a fraction of the Price

I needed some inexpensive frames and I didn't have time to place a custom order with a frame shop...What to do?!!!  My watercolor painting is mounted on a wooden panel that I made from 1/4 inch plywood and primed with Golden Gel Medium (See a video here about 6 rows down).  I measured a backing board, also from 1/4 inch plywood, 4 inches larger than my mounted painting. Then I cut 4 pieces of 1 x 2 boards the length of the sides of my backing board and attached them with 5/8 inch wood screws from the back. I painted the inside front part of the backing with black acrylic matte paint and the side boards (I call it moulding now!) a matte coffee brown.  

After the paint dried I positioned my mounted painting panel right on the front of the backing board with double-stick tape to hold it in place as I gently flipped it over to screw it on, from the back, with 5/8 inch wood screws. This was pretty tricky and I will have to experiment with an easier method. I then attached standard hanging wire hardware.


My finished painting is securely framed and it cost about 1/5 of even the wholesale price I would have paid for a frame this size.  The painting "floats" in the frame and nothing touches the front of painting itself. It has no glass or matt because it is sealed with Golden Archival spray Varnish.  I'm pretty happy with the results!  


No comments: