Friday, June 5, 2009

Portrait of a Daughter-A Little Work From Head to Toe

My favorite part of any portrait is the actual face. I like to start with it as soon as possible to establish the values (lights and darks) of the whole painting. After I establish the face, I move on to the torso, hands, and feet. But I don’t make it as dark as I intend, yet! I do a little background, a little sky, a little of the tree…and I’ll keep going back over the whole painting with layer after layer of color until I think it’s just right! At this stage of the painting everything looks a bit "chalky".


I have a lot of work to do on the hair to make it look “real”. And I’ll be better able to see how much more to add to the subject herself when I have more of the tree painted in.

6 comments:

Laryssa Herbert said...

I am impressed, as usual. ;-)

Mara Mattia said...

Thank you so much, Laryssa. I love getting your comments!

Carol Ottaway said...

When I found your blog you had just started this piece and I have been checking daily to see the finish. Needless to say, I'm not dissapointed! It's beautiful:)
I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve....

Oh, and I love your blog too!

Mara Mattia said...

Thanks so much for your nice comment, Carol. I took a look at the art on your blog too - good work! Your family is fortunate to have a portrait artist among them!

jennydraws said...

I am so happy I came across your site. I cant wait to do your watercolor exercises. Thank you for doing this. :)

Mary said...

Your work is amazing!