Monday, June 1, 2009

Portrait of a Daughter-Beginning the Background Characters

This watercolor portrait painting I’m working on will be 22½” x 30”. And it has several little cartoon characters in the background measuring only and inch or two in size. I’m showing you just the beginning stages of five little characters here with the actual pencil drawing on the watercolor paper beside it. I keep a detailed picture of each character nearby, like a video cover or book, for reference as I paint.



In reality these are actually so small that they appear a little blurry because I tried to enlarge them for this post.

Watch how I develop them as the painting process moves along.

A word about copying copyrighted characters: Most of the characters were created by Walt Disney or other artists. I cannot paint these characters and sell them. But I can use them in a portrait background for the purpose of the portrait subject as props to show her personality.

3 comments:

MARA PRICE said...

The waterocolor gives them such a special look. She is a lucky girl.

glasman9 said...

I wish your lessons were easier to find. thanks

Mara Mattia said...

Dear "glasman9" - Thank you for your comment. I will see what I can do to make it easier.