Monday, December 1, 2008

Cross Hatching Technique for drawing Santa Clause in Pen and Ink

This is an example of the cross-hatching technique using pen and ink. Better watch out...Santa Clause is coming to town! Thanksgiving is over, and I hope you will continue to be thankful to God for many good things in your heart.

I went to the mall this weekend (but not on black Friday) and it was full of holiday shoppers. And I think Santa is at the North Pole preparing for the season ahead!

I drew this quick sketch of Santa back in 1982…let’s see…that’s 26 years ago! I think he still looks the same.

3 comments:

Jaliyah Hope said...

I want to learn more... want to know how to color portraits... it's too difficult for me to do such a thing though I really want to learn and do it...

Mara Mattia said...

Dear Jaliyah,
Thank you for your comment. If you can learn to draw you can learn to paint in color. Practice just a little every day or every other day. Pick up tips from books, classes, or just closely examining paintings. Learn to tell the difference between oil, acrylic, pastel, or watercolor and choose which you like. The key is observe closely and PRACTICE. And don't work too hard, just enjoy it. You will surprise yourself. -Mara

Jodi Cox said...

Hi! I was searching for examples of cross hatching to inspire me today. This one is great, thanks. :)