Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Lesson #9 How to Paint a Watercolor Color Wheel Continued

As we continue to paint a watercolor color wheel, if you missed lesson #8 go back to that post and take a look! It will show you the materials you need and examples of me mixing color with a brush.

We learned about the three basic colors that make up all the colors of the color wheel: primary colors. They are red, yellow, and blue. See where I put one color dot next to each primary color on the color wheel.

Then we mixed primary colors to get secondary colors. They are orange, green, and purple. See where I put two color cots next to each secondary color.

Now I will tell you about the third group of colors. They are called tertiary colors. ( I don’t know why they don’t just call them third colors! Tertiary and third both start with the letter T – that’s how I remember). I have also put three color dots next to each tertiary color on the color wheel.

Here I have mixed the primary color yellow with the secondary color green to get tertiary yellow-green.

Next I mixed secondary green with primary blue to get tertiary blue-green.

Then I mixed primary blue with secondary purple to get tertiary bluish-purple.

Here I mixed primary red with secondary purple to get tertiary reddish-purple.

Then I mixed primary red with secondary orange to get tertiary red-orange.

And lastly I mixed secondary orange with primary yellow to get tertiary yellow-orange.

Yellow-green, blue-green, and bluish-purple: all tertiary!
Reddish-purple, red-orange, and yellow-orange: all tertiary!



I can hardly wait until our next lesson when I will show you how to shade with color! This is really very easy. All it takes is lots of practice playing with water and paint.

Lesson # 10 will be in January. I will be taking a little time off for Christmas. So I’ll meet you back here in about 3 weeks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great. I'll have to make my own color chart wheel instead of googling one.

Anonymous said...

I am also commenting to let you be aware of what a superb discovery my friend's girl encountered going through your
webblog. She learned a good number of things, not to mention what it is like to have a marvelous helping mindset to make
a number of people without problems gain knowledge of a number of
multifaceted things. You really exceeded my expected results.
Thanks for displaying those interesting, safe, revealing and cool tips
about your topic to Lizeth.

Mara Mattia said...

So glad I could help!