Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Her String of Pearls in Watercolor

Vintage: 1. The yield of wine grapes…of a particular year… or: 2. Having an excellence that has survived the passing of time…of an era gone by…

This is a watercolor of my daughter, my middle child (see my earlier posting of my children drawn with graphite pencils when they were young).

My daughter and I love to shop for “junk”. Have you heard the saying, “One gal’s junk is another gal’s treasure”? Well, I raised my kids shopping at thrift stores. They loved it and we saved money (One time they did get distracted chasing a mouse under the racks of clothes until it disappeared through a crack in the wall!). A couple years ago my daughter and I found this fantastic antique store in the Ocean Beach area of San Diego. We purchased a vintage silk slip and a black hat. We knew it would make a good costume for a portrait.

Her younger sister needed a model for a photography class assignment so we were all set. I grabbed my camera for some shots of my own. Photography isn’t my thing and my photos didn’t turn out as well as those my daughter took but they did inspire me to do a painting. this is the reference photo I took.

5 comments:

Prairie Home-Sherry said...

WoW!!!
This painting is Gorgeous! I love the photo Lisa caputured also...I will add you to my site for sure! Matter of fact I will mention... to check out your Blog on my post I just did last night!
Welcome to Blog world It is SOOO amazing...Wait & see.....
Love, Sherry

Mara Mattia said...

Thank you, Sherry - You've made me feel so very welcome now!!
Love,Mara

Ruthann said...

STUNNING! AMAZING! GORGEOUS! My goodness Mara, you captured Janna's dazzling beauty so delicately, so intricately....it's remarkable. Love the pearls, hat and vintage slip!
Welcome to blogland! What a great way to share your artwork with the world! I will also link my site to your blog in my next post.
Hugs! Ruthann

Mara Mattia said...

Thank you so much for your warm comments and welcome, Ruthann! As always, I look forward to your next post.
Love,
Mara

Mary said...

Totally awesome!