Friday, October 17, 2008

Ducks, Ducks, Watercolor Ducks!



Paintings of ducks have always graced the walls of hunting lodges, a study, or the face of State and Federal Duck Stamps. This is a male and a female Mallard. The male’s head is such a beautiful iridescent green. And this pair was floating in the reads in the lake near our house. Another form called a Mexican Duck is similar except the female is darker in color. Mallards often interbreed with domestic ducks and produce a variety of odd-looking hybrids, such as the black and white-colored duck of my previous posting. I tried a new style for painting the water in this one, kind of like paint-by-number but using blending techniques. It was fun but very time consuming. When I do something like this I like to listen to an audio book while painting.

17” x 13” original

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mara,
Oh, my stars! The mallard painting is magnificent! Our daughter entered the National Junior Duck stamp competition a number of times, when she was younger. Your work is fabulous.

Your rose pictures are equally as lovely. They would be nice notecards for stationery.(I know. Most people say,"Stationery"? However, I still love the personal touch of tangible stationery.

By the way, RuthAnn sent me :)

Blessings,
Patti Pie
Salem,OR
Oh, I'm still viewing that glorious painting on this screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mara Mattia said...

Thank you for your kind comments! I imagine your daughter is a fantastic artist now herself. If so, I'd love to see her work! I feel the same way about your comments about tangible stationery, and I do make notecards with envelopes out of most all of my paintings. I don't think I've ever had someone compliment me with a word such as "glorious". Thank you so very much!